Co-trimoxazole injection is used to treat certain infections that are caused by bacteria such as infection of the intestine, lungs (pneumonia), and urinary tract. Co-trimoxazole should not be used in children younger than 2 months of age. Co-trimoxazole injection is in a class of medications called sulfonamides.
Co-Trimoxazole for Infusion is indicated in children aged 12 years and under (>6 weeks to <12 years old); children over 12 years old (>12 to < 18 years old) and adults (>18 years old) for the treatment of the following infections when owing to sensitive organisms (see section 5.1):
• Acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection: It is recommended that initial episodes of uncomplicated urinary tract infections be treated with a single effective antibacterial agent rather than a combination such as Co-Trimoxazole for Infusion.
• Treatment and prevention of Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonitis or “PJP”.
• Treatment and prophylaxis of toxoplasmosis.
• Treatment of nocardiosis.
• In general, the indications for the use of Co-Trimoxazole for Infusion are the same as those for oral presentations.
Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.