Praziquantel Tab: Know the Uses, Benefits, Side Effects
Parasitic infections caused by the worms are called Helminthiasis. Such infection needs immediate treatment, otherwise, it can lead to long-term health problems. Hence comes the saviour, Praziquantel Tab also known as the Prazijol Tablet, a medicine that belongs to the class of drugs called anti-helminthic. The tablet is used to treat worms and Schistosoma infection and thereby helps you to improve your health and quality of life. In this article, we bring to you a comprehensive guide on Praziquantel Tab, its uses, benefits, side effects, safety advice, and more!
So, give this article a read, and get answers to all your questions!
Praziquantel Tab: General Overview
Here is a general overview of some important points to remember about this medicine -
|Composition||Praziquantel IP - 600 mg|
|How it works||Kills the worms causing the infection|
|Storage||Below 30 degrees celsius|
Prazijol Tablet: How it Works
Before we dive deeper into this article, let us start with how the Praziquantel Tab works. As we mentioned earlier, this medicine directly targets and kills the worms that cause the infection. Let us understand how exactly it does this job below -
- Prazijol Tablet causes severe spasms and paralysis of the worms' muscles.
- The worms of some kind are then passed in the stool.
Most of the time, you will not be able to notice the worms passed in the bowels since they are completely destroyed. This way the medicine treats your infection.
Prazijol Tablet: Benefits
The tablet treats the worm and Schistosoma infection, and the benefits of treating each infection are provided as below -
The tablet is an antibiotic that helps treat worm infections by killing and stopping the further growth of the parasites causing the infection. On taking the dosage of this medicine as prescribed, you will notice the following benefits-
- It usually makes you feel better quite quickly.
- However, it is advisable to continue taking it as long as it is prescribed even when you feel better, to make sure that all parasites are killed and do not become resistant.
Note - Although this medicine is generally safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding, it is advisable to consult your doctor.
Also known as snail fever and bilharzia, Schistosoma infection is a disease caused by parasitic flatworms called schistosomes. This disease infects the urinary tract or the intestines. Some of the most common symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloody stool, or blood in the urine. . On taking the dosage of this medicine as prescribed, you will notice the following benefits-
- Prazijol Tablet relieves these symptoms and being an antibiotic it also helps you to stay well by preventing them from coming back.
- However, it is important to take this medicine regularly for the best result, and alongside drink plenty of fluids to make sure you stay hydrated.
Prazijol Tablet: Side Effects on Consumption
Every medicine comes with side effects, and so does Praziquantel Tab. However, the good news here is that most side effects do not require any medical attention and would disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. The following are the noticeable side effects of consuming the medicine -
Common Side Effects
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Hair loss
- Abdominal pain
Other Side Effects
If you notice any of the following side effects, we advise you to seek immediate help from your doctor.-
- Fever, chills, sore throat, cerebral pain, body throbs, sluggishness, not feeling good
- Slow or sporadic pulses
- Stomach cramps, bulging, looseness of the bowels, blockage, queasiness
- A seizure
- Inconvenience concentrating
- Cold sweats
- Skin bothering
Note - It is always recommended to consult your doctor if these side effects persist for long or if you’re worried about them.
Prazijol Tablet: How to Use the Tablet?
The following is the way you can consume the Praziquantel Tab, the dosage of which would be as advised by your doctor -
- By Mouth -
Take this medication by mouth with a meal in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole with a full glass of water.
Note- It is advisable to not chew or suck the tablets because of the bitter taste rendered by praziquantel
- Crush the Medicine-
In case you have trouble swallowing the tablets, you may crush the medicine and mix them in soft foods or liquids. However, the mixture should be consumed within 1 hour of mixing.
Prazijol Tablet: Quick Tips
The following are some quick and important tips you must keep in mind while taking the Praziquantel Tab-
- The medicine should be taken with food.
- Avoid crushing, chewing, or breaking the tablet as it will be bitter in taste and cause you to vomit or feel nauseatic.
- In certain cases, the doctor may monitor your blood counts and liver function before he prescribes you this medicine.
- It is advisable to not be near people who are sick or have infections.
- Even if the first few doses provide your relief and you feel better, you must finish the entire prescribed course and not skip doses. This is because stopping early may increase your risk of further infection.
Prazijol Tablet: Availability
The Praziquantel Tab is manufactured by Jolly Healthcare and is a rare drug to find in the world of Pharmacy. However, you can purchase this medicine through JollyRX, an online platform started by Jolly Technology Portal. The main aim of JollyRX is to help improve Indian healthcare by making hard-to-find drugs & diagnostics accessible and affordable. So grab your medicines are an affordable price.