Jolvig / Vigabatrin Sachet: Know the Uses, Benefits, Side Effects
Vigabatrin Sachet or Sabril also called the Jolvig belongs to the class of medicines known as antiepileptic drugs (AED). The medicine is used for epilepsy (seizures) and infantile spasms. The Jolvig Vigabatrin is a recently released antiepileptic drug which works on the mechanism of action, being the inhibition of GABA (a chemical messenger) transaminase leading to an elevation of brain GABA concentration. It is an effective drug with a global experience of 1,50,000 patients consuming it.
In this article, we bring to you a comprehensive guide on Vigabatrin Sachet, its uses, benefits, side effects, safety advice, and more. So, get answers to all your questions here.
Here is a general overview of some important points to remember about this medicine -
|Composition||Vigabatrin 500 MG|
|How it works||Inhibition of GABA (a chemical messenger) transaminase leading to an elevation of brain GABA concentration.|
How it Works
Let us first understand how the Vigabatrin Sachet works. As we mentioned earlier, this medicine works on the mechanism of action, being the inhibition of GABA (a chemical messenger) transaminase leading to an elevation of brain GABA concentration. To put it in simple words this is how exactly it does its job -
- It works by increasing the action of a GABA, a chemical messenger, which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
- The increase in the concentration of GABA in the brain thus reduces seizures and spasms.
The Vigabatrin Sachet is an anticonvulsant, that has been proven effective, mainly as an add-on agent, in complex partial and secondarily generalized seizures in both adults and children as well as in infantile spasms in both short and long-term controlled studies. It works by stopping the breakdown of a natural calming substance (GABA) in the brain, thereby calming the brain.
Side Effects on Consumption
Every medicine comes with side effects, and so does Vigabatrin Sachet. However, the good news here is that most side effects do not require any medical attention and would disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. The following are the noticeable side effects of consuming the medicine -
Common Side Effects
- Aggressive behaviour
- Altered walking
- Blurred vision
- Double vision
- Joint pain
- Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement)
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Weight gain
Warnings and Precautions
The medicine comes with its own set of warnings, and its best to be cautious rather than being sorry! Hence we have listed some important points you must keep in mind before consuming the medicine -
- Permanent bilateral concentric visual field constriction - The drug may cause a vision loss, especially in the adult patients ranging in severity from mild to severe, including tunnel vision to within 10 degrees of visual fixation, and can result in disability. In some cases, vigabatrin also can damage the central retina and may decrease visual acuity.
- Unsafe during Pregnancy- Vigabatrin Sachet may be unsafe to consume during pregnancy. So it is best to consult your doctor before consuming.
- Unsafe with Alcohol Consumption - Being on Vigabatrin Sachet prescription, while consuming alcohol can cause excessive drowsiness.
How to Use the Tablets?
The following is the way you can consume the Vigabatrin Sachet, the dosage of which would be as advised by your doctor -
- Mix the content of the sachet in water as directed on the Instructions sheet on the package. Measure the dose using the oral syringe provided, and do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose. Consume the dose right after mixing.
- Take this medication by mouth with or without food the dosage of which would be as prescribed by your doctor.
The following are some quick and important tips you must keep in mind while taking the Vigabatrin Sachet-
- It is important to not skip any of the prescribed doses as it can trigger seizures.
- It is advisable to stick to the brand of medicine and not change it.
- The consumption of this medicine can cause drowsiness. Hence do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- This medicine may cause visual problems, hence inform your doctor immediately if you notice any change in your eyesight.
The Vigabatrin Sachet is manufactured by Jolly Healthcare and is a recently released drug to treat epilepsy (seizures) and infantile spasms. Being newly released, and with not many manufacturers in the market, this drug can be hard to find. However, you can purchase this medicine through JollyRX, an online platform started by Jolly Technology Portal. The main aim of JollyRX is to help improve Indian healthcare by making hard-to-find drugs & diagnostics accessible and affordable. So grab your medicines are an affordable price.