There are different types of hormones in male body that help tissues or organs carry out different functions in the body. Testosterone is one among them. It is a male sex hormone produced in the testicles. Testosterone hormone is responsible for normal male sexual development and functions. At the time of puberty, testosterone allows boys to acquire male traits such as body and facial hair, heavy voice and muscle strength. It is essential to make sperm.
Functions of Testosterone
The testosterone is responsible for a number of bodily functions. Some among them are:
- Fat distribution
- Bone density
- Red blood cell production
- Muscle strength
- Sperm production
However, in some men, there is deficiency of testosterone. It is known as Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome (TD) or Low Testosterone Syndrome (Low-T). The decrease in testosterone can cause significant physical and emotional change.
Symptoms of Low Testosterone
As per the study of American Urology Association (AUA) low blood testosterone level is considered when the amount of hormone is less than 300 nanograms per deciliter. The symptoms of it are as follows:
- Low sex drive
- Reduced lean muscle mass
- Loss of body hair
- No or less beard growth
- Erectile dysfunction
Apart from these, there are some non-specific symptoms as well. These include:
- Lower energy level, endurance and physical strength
- Bad memory
- Difficulty in finding words to say
- Poor concentration
- Not doing well at work
Causes of TD
There are certain birth conditions that cause Testosterone Deficiency are:
- Klinefelter syndrome
- Noonan syndrome
- Ambiguous genitalia
Low-T can also be caused because of the conditions such as:
- Damaged testicles due to accident
- Removal of testicles
- Chemotherapy or radiation
- Pituitary gland disease that lead to hormone deficiency
- Auto-immune disease
There is another major reason why men develop TD. It is when testicles produce less testosterone than normal. This lowers the blood levels of testosterone. The cause of Low-T levels are related to:
- Metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, high blood sugar, unhealthy cholesterol levels and belly fat)
- Use of medications such as antidepressants and narcotic pain medications
Health problems like HIV and AIDS can also lead to low testosterone in some cases. There could be more possible reasons and symptoms of Testosterone deficiency. The doctors diagnose the condition using these specific signs and symptoms in addition to testosterone blood level.
Treatment of Testosterone Deficiency
The reports indicate Testosterone Therapy (TT) as the effective solution for men between 40 and 64. It is only prescribed to men who meet the clinical and laboratory definition of testosterone deficiency, that is, when the blood testosterone level is or less than 300 ng/dl. There are certain crucial things to know about TT.
Testosterone is usually consumed in five different ways. Each method is significant in its own way and should be adopted as per the advice of the doctor. These ways are:
- Transdermal (via skin) - It includes topical gels, creams, liquids and patches. These are applied on the affected area and absorbed by skin.
- Injection - Testosterone injections are available in short-acting and long-acting form. Short-acting medicine is given under the skin or in muscle while long acting is usually given under the muscle.
- Oral/buccal (by mouth) - Buccal dose looks similar to tablets but shouldn't be chewed or swallowed. It comes in a patch that is placed above an incisor and the medicine is released in 12 hours.
- Intranasal (through the nose) - It is available in gel form. The dose is pumped into the nostril as prescribed.
- Pellets under the skin - It is a surgical way of providing testosterone where doctors place the testosterone pellets under the skin after giving an anesthesia.
Andractim DHT Gel
Andractim DHT Gel is a drug based on Dihydrotestosterone, a metabolite of testosterone. It is effective in treating a deficiency of testosterone in males. It is a topical testosterone and absorbed via skin. The drug supplements/replaces testosterone by entering the bloodstream. It is available as 2.5% gel. The medicine can be ordered online from our website. It is very useful in treating the lower level of hormones and helping the body reach normal testosterone levels.