Cidnavir Injection: Know the Benefits, Uses, Side Effects and Availability
Cidnavir injection belongs to the class of drugs called antiviral and is used to cure CMV retinitis, an eye infection in AIDS patients. Cidnavir contains an active ingredient by the name cidofovir, the brand name of which is Vistide. It is an injectable medication which must be administered with probenecid, orally, to decrease the side effects on the kidney. If you wish to know more about the Cidnavir injection, its uses, precautions, side effects, and availability, then continue reading this article.
Important Fact About Cidnavir Injection
The table below provides some important information about Cidofovir for your ready reference -
|Composition||Cidofovir - 75 Mg/ml|
|Treatment||CMV retinitis, an eye infection in AIDS patients|
How does Cidnavir Injection Work?
Cidnavir is primarily used for the treatment of CMV retinitis, an eye infection caused by cytomegalovirus (CMV) in AIDS patients. Cidnvir injection works by selectively inhibiting the enzyme DNA polymerase and thereby inhibiting viral replication.
What are the Side Effects of Administering Cidnavir Injection?
Every medication has its own set of side effects, but not everyone experiences them. While most side effects are common and tend to reduce as the body gets used to the medication, there are certain side effects that require immediate attention. We have listed the side effects of Cidofovir below -
Common side effects
- Hair loss
- Difficulty in breathing
- Inflammation of the eye
- Reduced pressure in the eye
Serious side effects
- Kidney damage
What are the Interactions of Cidnavir Injection with other Medications?
The following are the interactions of the Cidofovir ingredients with other medications, and the possible effects it leads to-
- Cidofovir medication with products containing tenofovir disoproxil fumarate is likely to enhance the pharmacodynamic interaction and thereby increasing the risk of Fanconi syndrome.
- Probenecid, which needs to be administered orally with each dosage of Cidofovir, increases the AUC of zidovudine.
- Hence, patients receiving both medications should be monitored closely for zidovudine-induced haematological damage.
Precautions for Cidnavir Injection
The following are some of the important sets of precautions that one needs to keep in mind while taking Cidnavir injection-
- Cidofovir is known to interact with nephrotoxic agents, and thus the injection should be avoided in patients taking nephrotoxic medications.
- Cidofovir injection is can cause serious effects on the kidney, hence close/exact monitoring of kidney function is essential.
- Patients' intraocular pressure should be checked, during cidofovir medication.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to not get the cidofovir 75 mg/ml injectable.
- Pregnant women should not take the medication.
- Also, patients who are hypersensitive to cidofovir should avoid using this medication.
Where to Purchase Cidnavir Injection from?
Cidnavir injection is manufactured by Emcure and contains an active ingredient by the name cidofovir. This medication can be purchased on JollyRX, an online platform that is your one-stop solution for finding hard to find drugs at an affordable price. The main aim of our platform is to improve Indian healthcare by making hard-to-find drugs & diagnostics easily accessible and affordable for everyone.